Beginning on May 22,1843, more than 1,000 pioneers headed westward on the Oregon Trail.
In the spring of 1844, the first settlers arrive in what is present day McMinnville.
McMinnville is officially named after William T. Newby’s hometown in Tennessee.
The first home is built within city limits.
McMinnville College is born. Its name will be changed to Linfield College in 1922 after Frances Linfield’s husband, Rev. George
Oregon becomes the 33rd state.
McMinnville is incorporated as an official city with a mayor and city council.
Water, electricity and fire protection are accessible to every establishment.
Sidewalks are constructed using wooden planks and stone. The downtown business center is comprised
of three blocks.
The first long distance phone call was made between McMinnville and Newberg.
John Wortman is the first man in town to own an automobile.
McMinnville Parks & Recreation Department sets up a bandstand and small zoo with bears, deer and local animals
near the present day McMinnville Public Library.
Third Street is paved and a grant from the Carnegie Corporation is awarded to construct the McMinnville Public Library.
McMinnville’s population exceeds more than 2,700 people.
Numbered streets are reversed with a city ordinance to change names.
Highway 99W bypass is built.
Adams and Baker Streets become oneway.
McMinnville’s population exceeds 10,000.
The McMinnville Downtown Association is formed. The vacancy rate downtown is 17%. The MDA works to promote and enhance historic downtown as the economic, social and cultural heart of the community. This project was made possible by the MDA.
The McMinnville Farmer’s Market is founded to support our local economy.
McMinnville’s population reaches 33,131.
The current vacancy rate in downtown is approximately 3%, well below the national average of 11 %.